Chief Engagement & Communications Officer (CECO)
Location: Anywhere in Atlantic Canada (remote work arrangement)
Start Date: preferably by April 1, 2023
Canada’s Ocean Supercluster (“OSC”) is an innovative and imaginative organization with national scope that is ensuring we as Canadians, achieve sustainable economic growth in our ocean-based industries while preserving the health and protection of one of our greatest natural resources.
The OSC collaborates with investors and partners from across ocean industries to develop and commercialize innovative solutions and create growth opportunities within Canada’s ocean economy, delivering cross-sectoral solutions, building a strong global ocean brand, and increasing Canada’s ocean workforce. Our organizational values diversity, creativity, ambition, collaboration, and inclusion. The OSC has a team of over 25 employees across seven provinces and growing.
Canada’s Ocean Supercluster creates new business opportunities for large-scale companies (anchor firms) as well as small to medium size entities (SMEs). It promotes and facilitates new partnerships between businesses, research institutions, and academia, helping them to undertake new business initiatives, develop and market innovative products, and become part of new and existing supply chains. OSC supports organizations to be globally competitive, expand into new markets and to significantly grow the ocean economy.
ABOUT THE ROLE:
Reporting to the Chief Executive Officer, the Chief Engagement & Communications Officer (“CECO”) will lead innovative engagement and communications strategies, programs, events and systems to foster sector collaboration, build ocean talent, increase awareness of Canada’s ocean brand and build the ocean community.
The CECO will work collaboratively with partners, members, Indigenous communities, regional and global communities, and all levels of government to further strengthen and expand Canada’s ocean ecosystem and build new opportunities for innovation. This includes supporting the creation of new ocean startups, increasing partnerships, connecting entrepreneurs to resources, facilitating SME-supply chain collaborations and advising ocean industry leadership. The CECO and team will be responsible for all aspects of brand management, media communications, and impactful communication strategies to build awareness and report on OSC activities.
The CECO will be accountable for talent programming working with ecosystem partners to build inclusive talent attraction programs; address shared talent challenges; raise awareness of ocean opportunities; and enhance required skills and competencies. The CECO will seek out funding opportunities with public and private individuals and/or organizations to support OSC project activities.
- Develop and execute on the Innovation Ecosystem Strategy including KPIs and regular tracking/reporting, and increasing the visibility of OSC programs, relationships and knowledge of ocean activities and marine assets
- Develop and implement an international engagement strategy including KPIs and regular tracking/reporting
- Oversee the OSC’s Corporate Social Responsibility and Environmental, Social and Governance (ESG) strategic initiatives
Communications and Brand/Reputation Management
- Lead the OSC communications and branding strategies and activities including social media presence, traditional media, keynote speaking opportunities, website and member portal, and enhance online presence
- Lead the design and execution of engagement activities with a multi-faceted and diverse membership
- Lead the shaping and implementation of engagement with indigenous leaders and communities
- Develop and support strong trusted relationships with OSC members to share insights and learnings
- Champion for equity, diversity and inclusion and demonstrates commitment through actions
Oceans Sector Talent
- Oversee inclusive talent attracting and retention programs to increase sector capacity and capabilities, attract the best entrepreneurs; and support the growth of a diverse and inclusive workforce
- Gather and report on talent trends, analytics and program outcomes
- Develop and implement engagement strategies with all levels of government and related agencies
- Contribute to creation/modification of government’s policies, regulations and legislation to ensure they reflect the needs of members and provide a competitive operating environment for the industry
IDEAL CANDIDATE PROFILE:
The CECO will be a dynamic, relationship focused, innovative, collaborative leader who is motivated to engage with others towards building awareness, education and solving ocean sector challenges. The CECO will be an accomplished, low-ego, confident executive passionate about leading from a strong foundation of values based on teamwork, driving innovative solutions; and consistently delivering.
- Bachelor’s degree in a related field including communications, marketing, public affairs, government relations
- Minimum of 15 years working experience in progressively more senior leadership roles in various areas of responsibilities (e.g. engagement, communications, government relations, community relations)
- Minimum of 5 years’ experience in an executive level role
- Successful experiences in partnering with Indigenous communities
- Experience in dynamic, complex, project based environments with multiple diverse stakeholders
Strategic and Innovative Thinking:
- Demonstrated success in developing/implementing multi-faceted engagement and communication strategies
- Proven ability to cultivate and sustain strategic partnerships, including community based and member organizations, government agencies, and in both the public, private and NFP sectors
- Strong business and financial acumen, along with experience in politically sensitive community processes
- Effective decision-making with ability to consider multiple factors in a dynamic, complex, nuanced environment
- Relationship-centric style willing to seek out diverse viewpoints from perspective of all stakeholders
- Collaborative and inclusive team player motivated to find solutions to challenging issues and problems
- Ability to create and implement impactful and meaningful engagement and communication strategies
- Strong people leader who can build and manage a diverse, high performing, and outcomes focused team
- Focus on continuous improvement efforts towards world leading processes, practices, and programs
- Effectively manages change; demonstrates flexibility and agility to deliver in a transforming environment
- Strong planning and organization skills with ability to delegate
- Able to work under tight timelines in a fast-paced environment while ensuring quality and accountability
- High emotional intelligence; able to understand the needs and concerns of partners, members and communities
- Resourceful, proactive, self-motivated leader with a strong sense of ownership and accountability
- Exceptional communication and presentation skills (written, verbal and in presentations)
We are excited to continue building our team with experienced, diverse professionals who are passionate about realizing Canada’s opportunity and growing the ocean economy in a digital, sustainable, and inclusive way.
Submit your cover letter and CV in confidence to the CEO, Canada’s Ocean Supercluster: HREXEC@oceansupercluster.ca