Indigenous Career Pivot Project
The Indigenous Career Pivot Project (ICPP) is an Ocean Supercluster pilot program to facilitate and support meaningful work placements for Indigenous peoples wishing to explore career options in the ocean economy. The project supports the employment of Indigenous peoples in Ocean Supercluster member companies. Placement support programs last for 12 months with a focus on creating permanent full-time positions. Participants will gain valuable experience in a new industry and will enhance their knowledge through placements that complement their existing skillset and natural aptitudes.
Indigenous Participants will receive:
- Industry-standard wage packages
- A work-integrated learning plan
- Full orientation and onboarding
- Career building conferences and workshops
- On-line professional development courses
- Career mentoring support provided by the OSC and Employer
- Peer Support Network
- Intercultural Competency Training provided to the Employer
Placement opportunities will be open to all Indigenous peoples willing to participate in pre-employment assessment and subsequent industry job matching. The target demographic will focus on underemployed, unemployed, and non-employed individuals interested in exploring new ocean related employment opportunities. Focus will be on attracting those individuals that have a strong probability of success in job placement, with particular attention on mid-career professionals looking to advance or shift their careers, those returning to work from an absence (maternity/paternity or injury) and those that are otherwise unattached to the workforce, yet have a strongly defined skillset. Specifically targeting groups that have an existing aptitude will increase the likelihood of meaningful and lasting placements. There will be no set educational threshold for participation in program; rather, placement prequalification will ensure participants demonstrate:
- An established skillset and the desire to further refine that skillset via hands-on work experience,
- An interest in pursuing career opportunities within the ocean economy post-placement, and
- An interest in working collaboratively and supporting other program participants.
Workplace environments may include working remotely or on-site. Some examples of potential employment include administration, HR, business and marketing, project management, software design, and quality control.
The Indigenous Career Pivot Project seeks applicants with Indigenous ancestry who possess the following qualifications:
- Highly motivated with a positive attitude
- A strong desire to build and expand their current skillset
- Ability to work both independently and as a team
- Communication and presentation skills
- Problem-solving and analytical skills
- Familiar with essential computer software such as Word, Excel and PowerPoint
The Indigenous Career Pivot Project currently has an open enrollment with opportunities for both Employers and Employees.
OSC members looking to hire Indigenous Employees – Apply Here
Indigenous applicants looking for employment with OSC members – Apply Here
In Partnership with:
Career Pivot – Episode 01 – Indigenous Career Pivot Project
Follow the journey of mid-career Indigenous professionals as they explore new careers in ocean. This monthly web series features employers and employees from Canada’s Ocean Supercluster’s Indigenous Career Pivot Project.
Indigenous Career Pivot Project Announcement – September 21, 2020